Monday, October 24, 2011

Step Eight: Cheap Dates and Comforting Desserts

J. and I have gotten the point in our relationship where date night typically consists of ordering in pizza or Chinese food, sitting on the sofa, drinking wine, and catching up on our Netflix instant cue. Romantic though this may be, every once and a great while we desire to do something that actually resembles a date. A real, live, leave the house wearing something nicer than sweatshirts, go somewhere where there are actually people, eat at something other than our coffee table in the living room date.

That being said, our budgets are understandably tight considering the recent travel, the setting up of our household, and the fact that I just started getting paychecks a few weeks ago. Dates, then, are either things we save for (like going to the Renaissance Festival) or need to be something inexpensive. In the last two weeks we've been fortunate enough to go on both kinds.

Our inexpensive date consisted of picking apples at a you-pick place nearby, and I have to say, this is one of my favorite things about fall. For $15, we picked a huge bag of apples in all sorts of varieties, some of which will become pies, some applesauce, some muffins and scones and cookies, and some will just get eaten, straight out of the bag, all crisp and sweet and tart and delicious. We also picked up a gallon of apple cider, which is always better from the local places. When I got home, I immediately poured it into my biggest stock pot and simmered it for an hour with my favorite blend of mulling spices. If you're going to make it a true cheap date, however, remembering the camera is probably a good idea. We didn't, and so you get to see the spoils, but not the picking itself.




Our other date was one we'd been anxiously anticipating since we moved to Rhode Island.

I've been going to the Ohio Renaissance Festival with my family for over a decade. To me, it is not fall unless I've consumed a turkey leg, watched the swordsmen, avoided dirt at the mudde show, and shopped the day away surrounded by friends and family, and so when we moved out East, it was my mission to find an acceptable substitute. The King Richard's Faire is the closest alternative, and so yesterday we set out for our grand date. While it was an enjoyable day, and certainly worth it this time, the decision has been made that next year, we will be trekking back to Ohio for a weekend in the fall, because it didn't measure up to the standard by which I hold all RenFests, our lovely site in little Harveysburg Ohio.

Ohioans, take advantage of what you have, for it is great.

That being said, the jousting tournament was wicked fun.



We made it through the faire in record time, and decided to head up to Plymouth while we were in the area. After a walk along the coast, we checked out Plymouth Rock, took a few pictures of the Mayflower II, bought saltwater taffy, and had dinner at a cute little Italian place.






It was a memorable date day, and an excellent way to spend a Sunday.

I have to admit, I think my very favorite thing about living in New England is the proximity to all of these touristy spots and great cities and towns. In just a quick (relatively) drive we can be in Cape Cod or Salem or Hartford or anywhere in between, and all of the history of the beginnings of our country is brought to life as we visit the landmarks where it all took place.

You should come and visit. We'll make it worth your while.

In the midst of all of this excitement, however, has been challenge. Trying to balance job(s) and home and personal time has been difficult, and I'm still getting used to everything out here, and I constantly feel that I'm falling behind. Worse, my grandfather fell and broke his hip, and not being able to just drive home to be there has been agonizing.

And so with that, I've sought comforting desserts. And while cakes, pies, and cookies are incredible ways to brighten a day, they take time and energy to bake. The simplest, most delicious, hearty, comforting dessert I could think of was rice pudding. This particular recipe is made with ingredients I almost always have on hand, and comes together with very little work, partially because you can use leftover rice. The night I made this, I just made a little more rice than needed for our dinner of fajitas. It's also easily made vegan, and would be incredible with almond milk. While it's great on its own, I will say it needs berries, something tart and bright to balance out the almost overly sweet pudding, and the almonds add a nice bit of texture.



Coconut Rice Pudding
From America's Test Kitchen: Cooking for Two

Any type of milk, or even half-and-half, will work in this recipe.

1 Cup Water
1/2 cup rice
1/8 teaspoon salt
1 cup unsweetened coconut milk
1 1/2 cups milk
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon

Bring the water to a boil in a small saucepan. Sit in the rice and salt, cover, and simmer over low heat, stirring occasionally, until the water is almost fully absorbed, 10-15 minutes.

Stir in the coconut milk, milk, sugar, vanilla, and cinnamon and continue to simmer, stirring frequently, until a spoon is able to stand up in the pudding, 45 to 55 minutes. Serve warm or chilled, with berries and toasted almonds, or extra coconut.

No comments:

Post a Comment