Friday, February 17, 2012

Step Eleven: Long hiatus, production weeks, and quitting your job

So, I've been a terrible blogger.

My last two months, in review, and then the fun stuff:
Early January: Came back from Ohio, launched into rehearsals for the show I was in, as well as the two shows I was directing, and the show for which I was assistant directing.
Mid January: Show I was in went up, left my job
End of January: Show I was in concluded
First week of February: Show number one I directed
Second week of February: Show number two I directed
Third week of February: Show number three, which I assistant directed

Whew! Five production weeks, four different shows, in three different cities, and two different states.

I... am exhausted. Thoroughly. If I ever try to do this again, someone smack me, alright? Seriously...

Now, in that time frame, some very important things happened. One, I learned never to do this to myself again. Two, J. built us a headboard and we bought a couch. Three, I celebrated an anniversary. Four, I learned how to leave a job.

This last one may sound trivial, but as someone who has never, ever before done anything like that, it was a pretty huge experience, and it was a necessary one. I miss my students, and I felt like a terrible person leaving them behind, but for my finances, and my sanity, it was one of the best decisions I've ever made. Though I've only ever done this once, a word of advice: Stand your ground. Know that this decision is the right one, and go in there with that conviction. It also helps to have other jobs lined up. Which I did.

Now onto the fun stuff.

Thoroughly Modern Millie went up with only minor challenges. The performances were incredible, the students had a great experience, and I was absurdly proud of all of them. We will, however, be scheduling next year's "fall" musical actually in the fall... This time of year there are too many illnesses going around, I had one of my Priscilla girls get pneumonia during tech week and we had to replace her, and another of my Priscilla girls got a nasty flu between the final dress on Saturday morning and the performance on Saturday night.

I know, right?

Guys and Dolls goes up this weekend, which is exciting. And even more exciting (in some ways) are the additions to our humble apartment. J., built us a beautiful headboard out of an old five panel door, and we bought our first big piece of "grown up" furniture, in our lovely new couch. We're finally able to upgrade from futon to full couch, which has been a blessing, and our apartment is finally beginning to look like a home, and not one lived in by poor college students. This is not to say that there's anything wrong with college student living, or post college student still poor living, but we were getting some serious apartment envy from my former roommates, including one Mrs. Bean.

I've had little opportunity to cook. We've been doing a lot of quick, easy, repetitive meals. That being said, I would go absolutely bonkers without the opportunity to at least occasionally set aside for a good meal, and the perfect timing came when J.'s parents came to Providence to visit.

They just so happened to give us a pasta machine for Christmas, and we thought their visit was the perfect opportunity to make homemade fettuccine with vodka sauce, which, if I do say so myself, was an excellent choice.



This is, quite possibly, the simplest, cheapest recipe for homemade noodles ever. We took it and adapted it not one bit from our favorite new cookbook, The New Best Recipe. While some homemade pasta recipes call for the nest of flour and beating the eggs in a little at time, this uses a food processor, making this recipe appropriate for even the most chaotic of evenings.



Fresh Egg Pasta
Makes about One Pound


2 cups (10 ounces) unbleached all-purpose flour
3 large eggs, beaten

1. Pulse the flour in a food processor fitted with a steel blade to distribute and aerate. Add the eggs, and process until the dough forms a rough ball, approximately 30 seconds. If the dough resembles small pebbles, add water half of a teaspoon at a time,  if the dough sticks to the sides of the work bowl, add flour a tablespoon at a time, and process until a rough ball is formed.

2. Turn the dough ball and small bits out onto a work surface. Knead the dough until smooth, one to two minutes. Cover with plastic wrap and let rest at least 15 minutes, or up until 2 hours. The dough can also be wrapped well in plastic wrap and kept refrigerated up to one day before rolling out.

3. Using a manual pasta machine, roll the dough.




4. Let dry for a bit. Cook until done, not more than a few minutes.

(Yes, I know that's a horrible direction "Cook until done" but it really varies, and seriously, cooks up fast. Check it at two minutes, use your own discretion.)

If you are making more than one batch, this can be time consuming. When we cooked for 18 people at Christmas, this process took the entire afternoon, but that was for five batches of pasta. For a one pound batch, I would set aside 30-45 minutes, depending on how practiced you are with the pasta machine.



Also, beware running out of space on your drying rack. Like we did. Quite a bit.

The cut pasta can also be laid out upon and separated by layers of paper towel. If you have some in the house. Which we didn't.

Oops.

Light(er) Vodka Cream Sauce
Serves 4

1 tablespoon olive oil
1/2 cup finely chopped onion
1 teaspoon salt, divided
1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper
1 garlic clove, minced
1/2 cup vodka
1/4 cup chicken broth
1 can crushed tomatoes
1/4 cup whipping cream
3 tablespoons thinly sliced fresh basil (or more to taste. Basil is my favorite, so I like it with quite a bit)


Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add onion to pan; saute until tender. Add 1/4 teaspoon salt, pepper, and garlic; saute 1 minute. Add vodka; bring to a boil. Reduce heat, and simmer 3 minutes or until liquid is reduced by about half. Stir in 1/2 teaspoon salt, broth, and tomatoes; bring to a boil. Reduce heat, and simmer 8 minutes. Stir in cream. Cook 2 minutes over medium heat, stirring constantly. Remove from heat. Stir in cooked pasta and remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt. Serve garnished with freshly grated Parmesan cheese and sliced fresh basil.


Consume and think of me.

No comments:

Post a Comment