Friday, April 20, 2012

Step Twelve: Birthdays and Bruschetta

As of yesterday, I am 24.

It's been a nice birthday. It was well timed to be just after an alumni event for the theatre department at my alma mater, so I was able to see friends and family, and it just so happened to fall on a day when my only class was to go fight choreograph a show. J. gave me very thoughtful, personal gifts, and brought home this absolutely stunning orchid, followed by incredibly vibrantly cheerfully yellow sunflowers, and absolutely divine smelling lilac.




For my birthday dinner, we drove down to Newport and ate at one of our favorite restaurants. My lobster mac and cheese was good, but I have to say, all of the food was utterly forgettable when compared to the bruschetta.

I don't like raw tomatoes. I make an exception for bruschetta.

This particular bruschetta had a perfectly seasoned batch of tomatoes, on top of the kind of bread that is both wonderfully crispy and still soft and chewable, fresh basil, melty and creamy and delicious fresh mozzarella, and balsamic vinegar.

Oh Lord, the balsamic vinegar.

This wasn't just a drizzle. It was a separate bowl. Of balsamic reduction. Clearly high quality balsamic vinegar that was reduced to the consistency of the most luscious, smooth, thick syrup in the history of ever.

Yes, I said it, and I meant it. The history of ever.

J. and I couldn't stop just dipping our fingers in it just so we could keep that incredible taste on our tongue as we waited for our entrees. We agreed, that particular reduction would make cardboard taste gourmet. I've been known to make inappropriately excited noises about ice cream (okay, about Jeni's ice cream) but never for anything like this. My god, I'm still drooling now. I legitimately dreamt about it that night.

So it's no surprise that I attempted to make my own at home. I must say, I had a near perfect replica in all but the reduction. The first attempt I let it reduce so much that I now have a bowl of balsamic caramel sitting on my counter. Tasty, sure, but not right for bruschetta. And it sticks to my teeth in a way I find unpleasant. The second attempt came much closer, I think had I left it on the stove for another 3-5 minutes it would have been perfect.

And so, I give you my version of the Brick Alley Pub's Tuscan Bruschetta



Bruschetta
Makes 8-10 slices depending on how much of the tomato mixture is used per.  

For the Tomato Mixture
2 Cloves Garlic, crushed
1 Tomato, seeded
2-3 teaspoons grated pecorino romano cheese
1 tsp Extra Virgin Olive Oil
Several tablespoons shredded basil, to taste
Salt and Pepper to taste

Combine, stir, let chill in the fridge for 2 hours so that all of the flavors can meld and turn into something entirely out of this world. Drain off excess liquid before serving.

Put good balsamic vinegar in a pan. Let reduce until clearly thickened, coating the back of a spoon, about the consistency of a thin syrup. This will continue to thicken as it cools. Let cool before serving. 

Preheat oven to 450 degrees. Slice french bread into one to one-and-a-half inch slices, cut diagonally. Melt enough butter/olive oil in a skillet to coat both sides of the bread. Cook till golden brown. Top with slices of fresh mozzarella. Bake for 3-5 minutes, until cheese is melted and is beginning to show signs of pizza like browning.

Top the cheese bread with 1-2 tablespoons of the tomato mixture. Drizzle with the balsamic reduction. Make inappropriate noises and think of me.

1 comment: